April 22, 2020 marks 50 years to Earth Day! While it may seem like there aren’t many ways you can celebrate while social distancing, but there definitely are! We’ve put together a list of things you can do to educate yourself and help the earth all by yourself or with your family.
1. Educate yourself by listen to a podcast, watching a documentary, or reading a book on sustainability.
2. Calculate your carbon footprint and find ways you can reduce it.
3. Plant a tree in your backyard.
4. Start a compost bin in your backyard or community garden.
5. Reduce and try to eliminate single use plastic consumption like water bottles, prepackaged produce, cling wrap, and straws.
6. Buy local from farmers and businesses.
• Buying from farmers near you helps reduces your carbon footprint since the food and products have less distance to travel in order to get to you.
• Buying from local small businesses helps owners grow and employ more people locally.
7. Buy from businesses with sustainable practices.
• The organizers of the Earth Day are hosting a virtual event with guests like Sylvia Earle, Van Jones, and Paul Nicklen.
We'd love to hear how you' will be celebrating Earth Day!