ClimateCost Score: 9/9
Using our ClimateCost sustainability index scoring system, here are some highlights from the evaluation criteria we score on:
- Climate: Cotopaxi is certified Climate Neutral.
- Ecology: To qualify as a "responsible" product at Cotopaxi, that item or material must carry a third-party sustainability designation such as Fair Trade CertifiedTM or Global Organic Textile Standard. We’re constantly seeking new ways to design our products in a more sustainable way and look to partner with credible certifications and collaborators. We use cruelty-free RDS-certified down in all our down jackets, including our Fuego and Solazo products. Many of our items are made in a Fair Trade Certified™ facility.
- Social Impact: Giving is core to who we are. We tie our earnings to impact by allocating a percentage of annual revenues to the Cotopaxi Foundation, which then provides targeted grants to nonprofits dedicated to eradicating extreme poverty. Cotopaxi is part of Pledge 1% and is committed to giving at least 1% of revenue towards ending poverty.
- Recyclability: We design our products to be as waste mitigating as possible. Currently, 94% of our products contain repurposed, recycled, or responsible materials—what we call the Three R’s. Focusing on more eco-friendly materials limits our dependence on fossil fuels and diminishes waste. By 2025, we hope to make 100% of our products using at least one of the Three R’s. Read more about their materials here.
- Keepability: Most of us know Cotopaxi by their tagline, "Gear For Good". Behind this tagline is a strong brand built on the highest quality products. Cotopaxi is highly keepable. In their own words: "We’re constantly looking to improve how we make our products. Our promise is that we’ll make the most durable gear we can in the most sustainable way we know-how. With our revenues, we’ll work tirelessly to lift people out of extreme poverty. In short, your product will last and will make a lasting impact."
- Supply Chain: We’re committed to addressing issues in the supply chain problems when they arise, and have made the following commitments to protecting human rights at all levels of our supply chain: 1. Committing to the UN Global Compact and Principles of Responsible Business, 2. Conducting annual auditing and anonymous supplier surveys, 3. Adopting the Ethical Trading Initiative’s Better Buying Guide, 4. Providing direct grants to all workers in cut-and-sew factories to increase their well-being, 5. Implementing a standard Code of Conduct
- Circularity: Truly sustainable design includes a backup plan. If there’s a problem with your gear, we’ll happily repair it, replace it, credit your return, or reward you for trading it in. Learn more about the Guaranteed For Good program here and their trade-in program here.
- Governance: Cotopaxi is a certified B-Corp.